A kitchen chimney is an electrical appliance that is designed to help you eliminate smoke and harmful fumes that are produced while cooking. It also absorbs oil particles that are released into the air while cooking, thus keeping your kitchen clean. Modern kitchen chimneys also improve the kitchen decor.
Use this guide to decide which chimney is ideal for your kitchen.
Here are the Top 5 things to keep in Mind
Types Of Mount
Choose a chimney based on the structure of your kitchen and the available space above the stove.
1. Wall-mounted Chimney
Baffle Filter :-
- Best suited for Indian kitchens due to increased use of oil and spices while cooking.
- Uses overlapping layers of steel/aluminium to change direction of airflow in order to separate grease and spice particles from the air.
- Suction power is not affected even if oil is collected in the first layer.
- Needs to be cleaned on a regular basis for optimal performance.
Cassette Filter :-
- Made up of multiple layers of aluminium mesh which have tiny holes to trap particles and purify air.
- Oil and other particles cling to the mesh as the air passes through it, boosting the purification process.
- Must be washed with detergent on a bi-weekly basis to keep filter functional or it may get clogged.
Charcoal Filter :-
- Features a layer with charcoal granules which effectively eliminates odor.
- Mostly optional, this filter is used together with either baffle or cassette filters.
- Needs to be replaced every 3 to 6 months depending on intensity of cooking.
Duct Or Ductless Chimneys
Size of Chimney
Most kitchen chimneys are available in standard sizes of 60 cm and 90 cm. Choose the size of the chimney depending on the size of the stove and the size of the kitchen. The chimney size should be slightly larger than the size of the stove, in order to absorb the smoke much more effectively.
- Auto Clean Chimneys
Auto-clean chimneys keep the main parts of the chimney clean automatically.
2. Detachable Oil Collector
The oil particles get collected in this collector, which is easy to detach and clean, thereby improving the efficiency of the filter.
3. Soft-touch Push Buttons
Provides an elegant look and is convenient to use.
4. LED Light
Provides greater visibility while cooking.
5. Auto-heat Sensor
It detects heat and oil particles and automatically switches on or off.
They have indicator lights or buzzers that let you know when it is time to clean or replace the filters.
7. Soundproof Kits
They ensure that there is minimal noise from the chimney while it functions.